Sugar Pie

My very first Sugar Pie!



Today's hectic, Carolle's busy on the sewing machine, Steve the repairman is in fixing a leaky hot water pipe and I'm pacing thinking of the Tour of Flanders... so I've decided to make my very first sugar pie.

Carolle's here to coach me, but I'm game for something sweet to go along with my early wake up call for Sunday's Tour of Flanders. There should be live streaming starting around 3:00 PDT.  I'm aiming for around four-ish, not so bright eye and no bushy tail, but with the help of plenty of coffee and sugar pie I'll be enjoying this impending battle.

This delicious sugar pie is from Carolle's Quebecoise Aunt Aurore...

Crust:

1 C. White Flour (you can substitute 1/2 C each of White & Whole Wheat)
1/4 C Cold Butter
pinch Salt
2 T. Brown Sugar
1/4 C. Cold Water

Combine ingredients, don't over mix, the secret here is just to break the butter into the crust mixture. Form into a ball place in a bowl into the freezer.

Mixture:

1 Can Evaporated Milk
1 1/2 C. Brown Sugar (make sure it's packed well)
2  Eggs
2  T. White Flour

Mix ingredients well so that the brown sugar dissolves in the milk. Set aside.


Take your crust mixture out of freezer. Have a rolling pin at the ready. I use a sheet of parchment paper placed on a wooden cutting board sprinkled with plenty of white flour so the crust mixture doesn't stick. This is an art: gently roll out dough from the center outwards and it must be larger than your pie shell (1"- 2"overhang). Gently place crust mixture over the pie plate pinch in so it forms the plate, fill with Mixture. Pinch in sides to finish. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F, then an extra 35 minutes at 350 F.
Allow to cool, you won't be able to taste it right away because it's very hot! I sometimes, have some vanilla ice cream with this before or after a ride, either way a tasty pie from Aunt Aurore... Enjoy!


GreenEDGE  Tour of Flanders previews Sebastian Langeveld.


Comments

Empidog said…
Yum Yum Rich....