Friday File: Forever Marinoni, Enlightened & Bola del Mundo


The living legend Giuseppe Marinoni today at 75 years old.



Friday File time, let's get started...


One of my smiles of the day came from Cycles Marinoni's Facebook page showcasing a fine collection of Marinoni bikes... mine included! Last year I sent my 1987 Marinoni back to Terrebonne, Québec to have it re-painted, back home to the famous frame builder, Giuseppe Marinoni and his talented staff. I'll have a upcoming story on the great man and what his company is up to... today. Meanwhile here is the image of my restored Marinoni, photographed by Hans Sipma...

 Molte Grazie!
A beautiful restoration: the decaling done by Simone,
wife of Giuseppe.
Photo courtesy: Hans Sipma




Exciting end to the Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec as Simon Gerrans timed his victory to win. I watched the last 2 hours and during the last 4kms the race heated up. Gerrans and Greg Van Avermaet attacked and went alone chased by Peter Sagan. The excellent form showed for Gerrans having the better speed to beat a feisty Van Avemaet. Now, it's on to Sunday's GP Montréal! Full results.


Gerrans the dragster!



And Philippe Gilbert wins his second stage of the Vuelta! Today's stage 19, a lumpy route to the finish in La Lastrilla was perfect for Gilbert as he took care of business. Guy loaned me his book, 'Philippe Gilbert: My year in top gear', and I look forward to reading his 2011 champion season. Is this an omen? I'm thinking his chance for victory at the upcoming world championship road race ... got a lot better!





Tomorrow is finally here, ok a few hours left, as the penultimate stage up the 23-percent ramps of the Bola del Mundo will decide the winner. Contador said it best,

It's a very difficult, dangerous climb. It's incredibly steep and probably harder than Cuitu Negru. It's going to be spectacular. The climb is so hard, that despite living around there, I rarely go up it.


Hans lent me his book, The Enlightened Cyclist by Bike Snob NYC. I look forward to be ... enlightened!


Thanks... Hans!



Thanks to Dave Yee for sending me In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore and Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage! And, I'll be including Dave's Marinoni Special in a upcoming Special Marinoni post.

My reading schedule just got busier...


And, finally art in two forms: visually exciting and a classic to sit on!




I'm still riding my 25 year old classic Rolls!
via stonejf


Comments