Friday File: I'm convinced that I still have a lot to give, Richmond & Muro di Sormano: A painful odyssey

Christian Meier
Photo Tim De Waele






Good news from Orica GreenEDGE has confirmed the Canuck dynamic duo of Christian Meier and Svein Tuft will continue to flash their brilliance and 'fly' the Maple Leaf for a further two years. I'm pleased and excited by the news and hopefully they will give the Aussie team more winning success along the way.


"Going forward, I hope to continue supporting our Ardennes riders and sprinters, but I'm excited to see how I can help support our future general classification ambitions too. Personally, I would like to seek out some races too and especially, I would love to qualify for the Olympics in Rio next year."

- Christian Meier


"As I'm getting older, the races get harder, but I'm still very motivated and I'm convinced that I still have a lot to give. I love racing and I think my role going onwards will also be to help the younger guys - both in and outside races. My program will probably remain the same with the Classics and the Giro and then I'll reassess with the sports directors to see for the rest of the year. I think we'll have a great season."

- Svein Tuft



"We certainly want Svein to finish his career with us - where and when that is will be up to him."

"We know what we get with Christian and we need guys like him to win the big races that we do."

- Matt White, DS.





Svein Tuft
Photo Graham Watson








An excellent and amazing aerial highlight reel of the Richmond world championships...



Enjoy the bike throw from the classy Terminator.








(Uphill) Race of the Falling Leaves...

245km.




It's difficult to predict the winner of Il Lombardia. No doubt it will favor the riders with the climbing legs to be in contention over the crazy steep Muro di Sormano (55km from the finish)...

















The punchy climbers will then contend the ascent up the Civiglio and the final assault up and down the San Fermo della Battaglia before the finish to Como. Most likely disadvantage to some of the jet lag riders back from the world championships. And more advantage to the ones who skipped Richmond. Winning the final Monument of the season is the utmost importance and will cap off a riders season. So who has the mental strength and the superior legs for Sunday?

Here's my predictions...


Start List.




My top 3 picks: 1. Adam Yates 2. Tim Wellens 3. Romain Bardet

These guys are next: Philippe Gilbert, Rafal Makja, Dan Martin, Tony Gallopin, Purito Rodriguez, Damino Cunego, Thibalt Pinot.






Classic Cool starring the Badger...


The Badger winning the 1984 Giro di Lombardia. 



Comments